Legal FAQ

Do you have a question about making a claim for compensation?

How much will I get?

The amount of compensation depends on your asbestos claim. However, if you have good evidence to support your claim, you are likely to win compensation of between tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars.

How much will it cost?

Your first consultation with an asbestos lawyer is free and without obligation.
If you decide to proceed, and the asbestos lawyer believes you have a viable claim, most legal firms including Maurice Blackburn and Slater & Gordon will act on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis.

How do I make a claim?

If you decide to make a claim you need to:

  • speak to a solicitor about your work and your exposure to asbestos
  • give the solicitor authority to access your medical records and reports
  • provide relevant documentation
  • visit an independent doctor for a medico-legal opinion, and
  • provide instructions to your asbestos lawyer about any offers made.

How long will it take?

Claims for asbestos-related malignancy usually take between three and six months, although claims can be resolved in a matter of weeks where there is medical evidence to demonstrate this is warranted. Claims for non-malignant asbestos disease usually take between 12 and 18 months to resolve. This may vary between legal firms, so talk to the lawyer about this at your free first consultation.

Can my family make a claim later?

Yes, provided you have initiated a claim during your lifetime in Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia and Tasmania. If you die before the claim is resolved, it will survive for your estate. If you do not initiate a claim, any claim your family can make after your death will be limited to their financial losses incurred as a direct result of your death, such as lost wages and funeral expenses.

Can I claim in a different state to where I’m now living?

Yes. Asbestos compensation laws vary from state-to-state, so talk to your asbestos lawyer about your legal rights. For example, you may benefit by claiming for compensation in Victoria if that is where you were exposed, even if you now live in Queensland.